Subject: Re: Weird Crashes, RAM propblem? Now Kernel Compile
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 <bbogart@acs.ryerson.ca>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/24/2000 15:42:39
Thank you to all who gave me suggestions on my problem. I got to the
motherboard this weekend and pushed in all zips and other little house
keeping things. I also cleaned all the card contacts. I'm now having no
problems. Running X now as hapiliy as i did before.

Now I'm having another little (in comparision) problem. I'm trying to
compile my own 1.4.1 kernel and am running into some difficulty. Here is
the error:

cc1:warnings being treated as errors
...amiga/dev/sbic.c in function `sbic_dump'
...amiga/dev/sbic.c:2864: warning argument is not a pointer. (arg 4)

I've just commented out all the hardware i don't have... Here is the
config file:

#	$NetBSD: GENERIC,v 1.119.2.3 1999/06/18 17:29:02 perry Exp $

#
#if 0
# GENERIC Amiga or DraCo
#
# This configuration file contains all possible options
#
# make AMIGA extracts the AMIGA configuration file.
# make DRACO extracts the DRACO configuration file.
#endif
#

include "arch/amiga/conf/std.amiga"

maxusers	8
options 	RTC_OFFSET=0

#
# mainboards to support (in addition to Amiga)
#
#ifdef DRACO_CONFIGURATION
options 	DRACO

#endif
#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
#options 	BB060STUPIDROM	# You need this, if you have a non-DraCo
				# MC68060 with an OS ROM up to (at least)
				# V40 (OS3.1) and want to boot with the
				# bootblock.
				# You do not need this if you have a DraCo,
				# have no 68060 or NEVER use the bootblock
#endif
#
# processors this kernel should support
#
#options 	M68060		# support for 060
#options 	M060SP		# MC68060 software support (Required for 060)
#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
#options 	M68040		# support for 040
#options 	FPSP		# MC68040 floating point support
options 	M68030		# support for 030
options 	M68020		# support for 020/851
#options 	FPU_EMULATE	# FPU emulation
#endif
#
# Networking options
#
options 	INET		# IP networking support (Required)
options 	GATEWAY		# Packet forwarding
options 	DIRECTED_BROADCAST	# Broadcast across subnets
options 	MROUTING	# Multicast routing
options 	NS		# XNS
options 	NSIP		# XNS tunneling over IP
options 	ISO,TPIP	# OSI
options 	EON		# OSI tunneling over IP
options 	CCITT,LLC,HDLC	# X.25
options 	NETATALK	# AppleTalk networking protocols
options 	PPP_BSDCOMP	# BSD-Compress compression support for PPP
options 	PPP_DEFLATE	# Deflate compression support for PPP
options 	PPP_FILTER	# Active filter support for PPP (requires bpf)
options 	PFIL_HOOKS	# pfil(9) packet filter hooks
options 	IPFILTER_LOG	# ipmon(8) log support

# Filesystems
file-system 	FFS		# Berkeley fast file system
#file-system 	LFS		# log-structured filesystem (experimental)
file-system 	MFS		# Memory based filesystem
file-system 	NFS		# Network File System client side code
file-system 	ADOSFS		# AmigaDOS file system
file-system 	CD9660		# ISO 9660 + Rock Ridge filesystem
file-system 	MSDOSFS		# MS-DOS filesystem
file-system 	FDESC		# user file descriptor filesystem
file-system 	KERNFS		# kernel data-structure filesystem
file-system 	NULLFS		# loopback filesystem
#file-system 	PORTAL		# Portal filesystem
file-system 	PROCFS		# /proc filesystem
file-system 	UMAPFS		# NULLFS + uid and gid remapping
file-system 	UNION		# union filesystem

# Filesystem options
options 	NFSSERVER	# Network File System server side code
options 	QUOTA		# User and group quotas in FFS
#options 	FFS_EI		# FFS Endian Independant support

#
# Compatability options for various existing systems
#
options 	TCP_COMPAT_42	# compatibility with 4.2BSD TCP/IP
options 	COMPAT_43	# compatibility with 4.3BSD interfaces
#options 	COMPAT_09	# compatibility with NetBSD 0.9
#options 	COMPAT_10	# compatibility with NetBSD 1.0
#options 	COMPAT_12	# compatibility with NetBSD 1.2
options 	COMPAT_13	# compatibility with NetBSD 1.3
options 	COMPAT_SUNOS	# Support to run Sun (m68k) executables
options 	COMPAT_NOMID	# allow nonvalid machine id executables
options 	COMPAT_LINUX	# Support to run Linux/m68k executables
#options 	EXEC_ELF32	# 32-bit ELF executables (Linux)

#
# Support for System V IPC facilities.
#
options 	SYSVSHM		# System V-like shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG		# System V-like messages
options 	SYSVSEM		# System V-like semaphores

#
# Support for various kernel options
#
options 	KTRACE		# system call tracing support
options 	LKM		# Loadable kernel modules
options 	NKMEMCLUSTERS=256	# Size of kernel malloc area
options 	UCONSOLE	# anyone can redirect a virtual console
#options 	INSECURE	# allow, among other insecure stuff, LKM
options 	SCSIVERBOSE	# Verbose SCSI errors

options 	NTP		# NTP phase/frequency locked loop

#
# Misc. debugging options
#
options 	DDB		# Kernel debugger
#options 	DDB_HISTORY_SIZE=100	# Enable history editing in DDB
options 	DIAGNOSTIC	# Extra kernel sanity checks
options 	DEBUG		# Enable misc. kernel debugging code
#options 	SYSCALL_DEBUG	# debug all syscalls.
#options 	SCSIDEBUG	# Add SCSI debugging statements
#options 	PANICBUTTON	# Forced crash via keypress (???)

#
# Amiga specific options
#
#options 	LIMITMEM=24	# Do not use more than LIMITMEM MB of the
				# first bank of RAM. (default: unlimited)
#options	NKPTADD=4	# set this for 4 additional KPT pages
#options	NKPTADDSHIFT=24	# set this for 1 additional KPT page
				# per 16 MB (1<<24 bytes) of RAM
                                # define and decrease this, or define and
                                # increase NKPTADD if you get "out of PT pages"
                                # panics.

# ATTENTION: There is NO WARRANTY AT ALL that the sync will be complete
# before the 10 secondinterval ends, or that KBDRESET does work at all.
#options 	KBDRESET	# sync on Ctrl-Amiga-Amiga

# These options improve performance with the built-in serial port
# on slower Amigas.  Try the larger buffers first then lev6_defer.
options 	SERIBUF_SIZE=4096
options 	SEROBUF_SIZE=32
#options 	LEV6_DEFER	# defers l6 to l4 (below serial l5)

#options 	RETINACONSOLE	# enable code to allow retina to be console
#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
#options 	ULOWELLCONSOLE	# enable code to allow a2410 to be console
options 	CL5426CONSOLE	# Cirrus console
#options 	CV64CONSOLE	# CyberVision console
#options 	TSENGCONSOLE	# Tseng console
#options 	CV3DCONSOLE	# CyberVision 64/3D console
#endif

#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
options 	GRF_ECS		# Enhanced Chip Set
options 	GRF_NTSC	# NTSC
options 	GRF_PAL		# PAL
#options 	GRF_A2024	# Support for the A2024
#options 	GRF_AGA		# AGA Chip Set
#options 	GRF_AGA_VGA	# AGA VGAONLY timing
#options 	GRF_SUPER72	# AGA Super-72
#endif
#options 	KFONT_8X11	# 8x11 font

# This is how you would tell the kernel the A2410 oscillator frequencies:
# The used frequencies are the defaults, and do not need option setting
#options 	ULOWELL_OSC1=36000000
#options 	ULOWELL_OSC2=66667000

# This is how you specify the blitting speed, higher values may speed up blits
# a littel bit.  If you raise this value too much some trash may appear.
# the commented version is the default.
#options 	RH_MEMCLK=61000000
# this option enables the 64 bit sprite which does not work
# for quite a few people.  E.g. The cursor sprite will turn to a block
# when moved to the top of the screen in X.
#options 	RH_64BIT_SPRITE
# enables fast scroll code appears to now work on 040 systems.
#options 	RETINA_SPEED_HACK
# enables the Hardwarecursor which does not work on some systems.
#options 	RH_HARDWARECURSOR

#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
grfcc0		at mainbus0		# custom chips
#grfrt0		at zbus0		# retina II
#endif
#grfrh0		at zbus0		# retina III
#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
grfcl*		at zbus0		# Picasso II/Piccalo/Spectrum
#grful0		at zbus0		# A2410
#grfcv0		at zbus0		# CyberVision 64
#grfet*		at zbus0		# Tseng (oMniBus, Domino, Merlin)
#grfcv3d0	at zbus0		# CyberVision 64/3D
#endif

#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
grf0		at grfcc0
#grf1		at grfrt0
#endif
#grf2		at grfrh0
#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
grf3		at grfcl?
#grf4		at grful0
#grf5		at grfcv0
#grf6		at grfet?
#grf7		at grfcv3d0
#endif
#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
ite0		at grf0			# terminal emulators for grfs
#ite1		at grf1			# terminal emulators for grfs
#endif
#ite2		at grf2			# terminal emulators for grfs
#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
ite3		at grf3			# terminal emulators for grfs
#ite4		at grf4			# terminal emulators for grfs
#ite5		at grf5			# terminal emulators for grfs
#ite6		at grf6			# terminal emulators for grfs
#ite7		at grf7			# terminal emulators for grfs
#endif

#msc0		at zbus0		# A2232 MSC multiport serial.
#mfc0		at zbus0		# MultiFaceCard I/O board
#mfcs0		at mfc0 unit 0		# MFC serial
#mfcs1		at mfc0 unit 1		# MFC serial
#mfcp0		at mfc0 unit 0		# MFC parallel [not available yet]
#mfc1		at zbus0		# MultiFaceCard 2nd I/O board
#mfcs2		at mfc1 unit 0
#mfcs3		at mfc1 unit 1
#mfcp1		at mfc1 unit 0

#hyper*		at zbus?		# zbus HyperCom3/3+/4/4+
#hyper*		at mainbus0		# not yet: HyperCom1 + HyperCom3
#com*		at hyper? port ?	# Hypercom3/4 serial ports
#lpt*		at hyper? port ?	# Hypercom3+/4+ parallel port

#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
#
# Amiga Mainboard devices (sans graphics and keyboard)
#

ser0		at mainbus0		# Amiga onboard serial
par0		at mainbus0		# Amiga onboard parallel
ms*		at mainbus0		# Amiga mice
fdc0		at mainbus0		# Amiga FDC
fd*		at fdc0 unit ?		# floppy disks on the later
a34kbbc0	at mainbus0		# A3000/A4000 battery backed clock
a2kbbc0 	at mainbus0		# A2000 battery backed clock
aucc*		at mainbus0		# Amiga CC audio
audio*		at aucc?
#endif

#ifdef DRACO_CONFIGURATION
#
# DraCo Mainboard devices (sans keyboard)
#

drbbc0		at mainbus0		# DraCo battery backed clock
drsupio0	at mainbus0		# DraCo superio chip
com*		at drsupio? port ?	# DraCo serial
lpt0		at drsupio? port ?	# DraCo parallel
#endif

#
# Zorro-II, Zorro-III, DraCo Direct-Bus devices (sans graphics)
#

#ifndef DRACO_CONFIGURATION
# Alas, Melody-Z2 dont configure in the DraCo bus.
melody* 	at zbus0		# Melody MPEG audio decoder
audio*		at melody?
#endif

# Ethernet cards:
le*		at zbus0		# A2065, Ameristar, Ariadne
ne*		at zbus0		# AriadneII
ed*		at zbus0		# Hydra, ASDG LanRover
es*		at zbus0		# CEI A4066 EthernetPLUS
qn*		at zbus0		# Quicknet

# Arcnet
bah*		at zbus0		# C=/Ameristar A2060 / 560

# Greater Valley Product Bus
gvpbus* 	at zbus0

#ifdef AMIGA_CONFIGURATION
# scsi stuff, all possible
#gtsc0		at gvpbus?		# GVP series II scsi
#scsibus*	at gtsc0
ahsc0		at mainbus0		# A3000 scsi
scsibus*	at ahsc0
#atzsc0		at zbus0		# A2091 scsi
#scsibus*	at atzsc0
#wstsc0		at zbus0		# Wordsync II scsi
#scsibus*	at wstsc0
#ivsc0		at zbus0		# IVS scsi
#scsibus*	at ivsc0
#mlhsc0		at zbus0		# Hacker scsi
#scsibus*	at mlhsc0
#otgsc0		at zbus0		# 12 gauge scsi
#scsibus*	at otgsc0
#zssc0		at zbus0		# Zeus scsi
#scsibus*	at zssc0
#mgnsc0		at zbus0		# Magnum scsi
#scsibus*	at mgnsc0
#wesc0		at zbus0		# Warp Engine scsi
#scsibus*	at wesc0
#afsc0		at zbus0		# A4091 scsi
#scsibus*	at aftsc0
#flsc0		at zbus0		# FastlaneZ3 scsi
#scsibus*	at flsc0
#bzsc0		at zbus0		# Blizzard 1230 I,II scsi
#scsibus*	at bzsc0
#bzivsc0 	at zbus0		# Blizzard 12x0 IV scsi
#scsibus*	at bzivsc0
#bztzsc0 	at zbus0		# Blizzard 2060 scsi
#scsibus*	at bztzsc0
#cbsc0		at zbus0		# CyberSCSI I
#scsibus*	at cbsc0
#cbiisc0 	at zbus0		# CyberSCSI II
#scsibus*	at cbiisc0
#cbiiisc0 	at zbus0		# Cyberstorm mk.III/Cyberstorm PPC SCSI
#scsibus*	at cbiiisc0
#empsc0		at zbus0		# Emplant scsi
#scsibus*	at empsc0
#idesc0		at mainbus0		# A4000 & A1200 IDE
#scsibus*	at idesc0
#endif

#ifdef DRACO_CONFIGURATION
#drsc0		at mainbus0		# DraCo scsi
#scsibus*	at drsc0
#endif

# each hard drive from low target to high
# will configure to the next available sd unit number
sd*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# scsi disks
st*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# scsi tapes
cd*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# scsi cds
ss*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# scsi scanner
ch*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# scsi autochangers
uk*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# scsi unknown

pseudo-device	loop			# loopback network interface
pseudo-device	sl		1	# SLIP network interfaces
pseudo-device	ppp		1	# PPP network interfaces
pseudo-device	tun		1	# network tunnel line discipline
#pseudo-device	gre		2	# generic L3 over IP tunnel
#pseudo-device	ipip		2	# IP Encapsulation within IP (RFC 2003)
pseudo-device	bpfilter	16	# Berkeley packet filter
pseudo-device	ipfilter		# IP Filter package

pseudo-device	view		10	# views
pseudo-device	pty		16	# pseudo ptys

pseudo-device	vnd		4	# vnode pseudo-disks
pseudo-device	ccd		4	# concatenated disk devices
#pseudo-device	raid		4	# RAIDframe disk driver

# rnd is EXPERIMENTAL at this point.
#pseudo-device  rnd                     # /dev/random and in-kernel generator
#options        RND_COM                 # use "com" randomness as well (BROKEN)

config	netbsd root on ? type ?

Would appricate any help, I'll also send this message to the port-amiga list

Thanks again!

Ben

In article <869rkp$17su$1@f1node01.rhrz.uni-bonn.de> you wrote:
: In article <38836C63.D8E742E1@iname.com>,
: 	"B. Bogart" <bbogart@iname.com> writes:
: > Hello all, I have an Amiga 3000 and have been running NetBSD on it for a
: > few years now. I'm now having many strange seemingly hardware related

: > under netbsd: Kernel panics (either prints "illegal instruction" or "MMU
: > Fault")
: > under amigaOS2.1: freezes or trapped software failure (by trapped I mean
: > I have some MCP hack that traps the software failures and gives you a
: > stack dump) the MCP hack prints "illegal instruction"
: > get a Yellow flashing screen during some boot-ups

: > At least they are agreeing! now I get this error just after using the
: > system for a few minutes.
: > About a year ago I got my motherboard bank filled to 16MB.
: >
: > the computer is only usible for a few minutes so It's very important I
: > get it fixed. Any idea what the problem could be? I guess I could take
: > out that upper 12MB of mem to see if it works...

: Hello Ben,

: I've seen both symptoms when I had bad contacts , or even one bad contact,
: to (one of) the ZIP chips on my A3000.

: * case one:
:   it turned out that one of the sockets wasn't well-soldered. Applying a bit
:   of soldering iron (from below, of course) fixed this, after detecting it.

: * case two:
:   even after that, I had occasional problems, especially after moving the
:   machine (inside car, lots of vibrations) from or to Amiga meetings.
:   On one occasion, I noticed that I could push in the ZIP RAM chips by
:   anoter whole mm, than I had dared before. After doing that, the system
:   was stable.

: So my suggestion is:

: - make sure your RAM is really well pushed in, until the point where the
:   RAM pins bend:

:  C
:  H
:  I
:  P
:   |
:   \
:    \
:     | Socket should start here, at most a half straight mm should
:       remain outside the socket. When in doubt, compare to the first
:       Bank of RAM, which was ok.

: - If this doesn't help, find a decent repair shop that takes the mainboard
: out of your machine, turns it around, and closely examines the RAM sockets
: for bad soldering.

: - it might help to remove the last bank of RAM (so that you have 12 MB). If
:   this does not help, you have 8 guessed-good chips to swap the others with.
:   This way you could try to identify the bad chip, if a _chip_ is bad.

:   or reduce the RAM bank by bank until the errors go away; the last bank
:   removed will have the bad soldering spot.

: Regards,
: 	-is

: --
:  * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
:    smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of
:    smart terminals.  -- obs@burnout.demon.co.uk (obscurity)

--
Ben Bogart
NetBSD 1.4.0, GENERIC Kernel, Amiga 3000, 24MB Ram, 2.1GB HD, EGS Spectrum Card.

"CPU clock speed is nothing--system architecture is everything."
 - John Blommers, Hewlett-Packard