Subject: NetBSD 1.4.1 dist on "The Amiga Unix Compendium" incomplete?
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin-Steigerwald@gmx.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/09/2000 17:56:48
Hi!

Maybe best to answer for the maintainer of "The Amiga Unix Compendium".

Today I tried to install some stuff via pkg_add. Works like a charm, but
there is one problem: It seems that several basic packages are just
missing from the CD-ROM which prevented KDE or Gnome and I am sure will
also prevent of many other graphics related X11 applications. Missing are:

jpeg-6b
png-1.0.3
tiff-3.4
xpm-3.4k

IMHO these are really basic ones. These are contained in the 1.4.1
distribution on ftp.netbsd.org where I leached them.

Then also missing is:

Mesa-3.0
gdbm-1.7.3
giflib-3.0

Which I found in the 1.4 distrubution of ftp.netbsd.org.

I thought NetBSD 1.4.1 on that CD-ROM actually *is* a *complete*
distribution which contains all packages to resolve dependencies. But
pkg_add just did not found them, and it is right, there are *not* on the
CD-ROM.

So actually one needs a copy of NetBSD 1.4 on CD-ROM also? But then why
are also the jpeg, png, tiff and xpm not included which were on the 1.4.1
distribution on the server. The NetBSD stuff on the CD-ROM has about
370MB, and the rest is used by GeekGadgets and AROS. Maybe it would have
been better to add another CD-ROM so to have 4 CD-ROMs, charge 10DM more
for it and include a *real* complete NetBSD distribution.

IMHO the purpose of a CD-ROM is to avoid to have to download much stuff
from the net.

Without these packages and I guess other may also be missing, one IMHO is
not able to use any serious X11 graphics application like XView, Gimp or
anything.

Also for example the "bash" shell is missing from the CD.

Is 1.4.1 an incremental distribution to 1.4? This is important to know, to
advise the user to get an additional NetBSD CD-ROM when he wants to have a
*full* distribution.

I hope I downloaded all missing packages to at least get some basic stuff
to run to be able to make some screenshots beyond trying to capture some
console displays - dunno how anyway.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald  - http://helios.home.pages.de
PGP: http://home.pages.de/~helios/autor/wie-erreichen.html