Subject: Re: Review article for Amiga Unix Compendium
To: Martin Steigerwald <Martin-Steigerwald@gmx.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/09/2000 10:26:47
On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 07:03:01PM -0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> - First one is the editor to use to change the config files. As it seems
> NetBSD basic installation only contains ed and vi, both are IMHO not what
> I ever call an usable software - this is my personal oppinion.

Can we please move this discussion out of here?

Port-Amiga will never be able to change the editor that is supplied with
the base os. This is no architecture specific decision.

As a matter of fact, currently a discussion about a "simple" editor
for configuration purposes takes place on the current-users mailing
list (where "simple" is defined as "simple enough for people who
don't know vi yet). If you like, look it up there. And, btw, this is only
a problem for people who want to do something non-standard before the
basic installation is complete... all others can install one of some
dozen other editors with one small command.

(Yes, this is a hint. Please don't complain on this list that NetBSD/Amiga
didn't have a package system like RPM at a time when Red Hat didn't exist,
as somebody did. We have had a package system for quite some time now.)