Subject: Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/08/2000 19:03:27
> > - Linux is also available in a version which runs on PPC Amiga. NetBSD
> >   is not yet.
>
> You forget one important thing: Linux has Linus Torvalds, and Linus has no
> m68k machine to test changes on. Basically every second thing Linus does
> breaks m68k. The latest kernel to run stable is 2.0.36, everything else
> needs major reworking to even compile. I'd switch over to a NetBSD kernel
> on my Amiga the second that Debian GNU/BSD is available...

 2.0.35 or 2.0.36 is the kernel that ships with Debian and RedHat IIRC.

 I'm using kernel 2.2.6, and others are running 2.2.10 with no problems either.
 I'm also using 2.3.6, and occasionally 2.3.22, but 2.3.6 is the last kernel
 with working CirrusLogic support.

 The "major reworking" mentioned is usually done before Jes releases a
 new m68k kernel :)