Subject: Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga
To: Martin Steigerwald <Martin-Steigerwald@gmx.net>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kolbj=F8rn_Barmen?= <kolla@nvg.ntnu.no>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/08/2000 02:49:44
On 7 Jan 2000, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> > > - The NetBSD on the Amiga Unix Compendium CD comes with compiled KDE
> > >   packages, Linux m68k does not. Important for the user IMHO!
>
> >  Yes, as KDE is crap :-)
>
> Then whats about Gnome?
>
> Point is KDE is quite a comfortable GUI system for Unix IMHO and Gnome - I
> did not see recent versions - also looked quite promising.

Both KDE and Gnome are waaaay too big and slow for m68k.

> Users usually want such stuff... They are not "vi" hackers. Most of them I
> guess ;-).

Both NetBSD and Linux are fringe OSes, unless you know what to use them
for, there is little point installing them. If all you want is a cool
desktop, and a handfull of apps I suggest staying with amiga OS. If the
intention is to learn unix/netbsd/linux then go for it, but be prepared
to read manuals alot, unix are for literal active people.

 Kolbjørn Barmen |    a3k/o6o/6o4e/AmigaOS/MacOS/LinuxPPC   |    // T e a m
 <kolla@nvg.org> | a12ooCT/o3o/Linux-m68k  a6oo/o3o/AmigaOS | \XX/ A M I G A
 Nettverksgruppa |    "I met the Amiga and fell in love..." | <amiga.nvg.org>