Subject: Re: Review article for Amiga Unix Compendium
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin-Steigerwald@gmx.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/08/2000 00:02:40
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 07:03:01PM -0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >
> > - First one is the editor to use to change the config files. As it seems
> > NetBSD basic installation only contains ed and vi, both are IMHO not what
> > I ever call an usable software - this is my personal oppinion.
>
> As for vi and ed, I tend to agree. I like vi, especially the nvi
> that we ship, but its a bit hard to learn it from the install
> miniroot, in case you need to do that... But emacs isn't any
> newuser-friendly editor, either (unless X11 is running and you can
> steer it with the rodent).

Yes. Okay... maybe it should be considered to provide just one further
small editor that only provides basic functionality and is very easy to
learn. On a freshly installed Unix system editing config files still is a
very important task. If the user fails on that, cause its hard to learn,
we may put NetBSD away and thats one NetBSD user less then.

"Pico" or "ae" come to my mind, tough it may be that "Pico" is not
completely free software?

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald  - http://helios.home.pages.de
PGP: http://home.pages.de/~helios/autor/wie-erreichen.html