Subject: Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga
To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kolbj=F8rn_Barmen?= <kolla@nvg.ntnu.no>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/08/2000 02:08:06
On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Kolbj=F8rn Barmen wrote:

> > Is there any feelable speed difference? Is NetBSD faster than Linux m68=
> > on the same machine or vice versa? Which one has more packages, which o=
ne
> > has more up-to-date packages? And stuff like this.
>=20
> Linux in general is easier to maintain imho, due to the package systems.
>=20
=09With respect to the base OS, or to additional packages?
=09The former I can well believe, but I've had no end of pain
=09finding the right RPM at times, and pkgsrc has been a blessing
=09in comparision.

> At the end of the days you choose whichever has best support for your
> hardware, ethernet cards, gfx cards, scsi controllers etc.

=09Lack of hardware support can eliminate choices, but quite often
=09you are left to select on other critera.

=09=09David/absolute