Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 01:53:48PM -0700, Michael L. Hitch wrote:
> Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent%crans.ens-cachan.fr@localhost> writes:
> > Lars Hecking <lhecking%nmrc.ucc.ie@localhost> writes:
> > > Is AGA good enough for X11?
> >
> > Definitely not, unless you like to use X11 with just 2 bitplanes...
>
>   2 bitplanes?
>
>   Even X11 on ECS will run with 4 bitplanes.
>
>   I'm running a 832x600x8 display on my A4000.  It's not the speediest
> display around, but it's good enough for me to run X11 on, and certainly
> beats the ECS mode.

Well, let me confess...

- one major speedup can be used by not using overscan, and by not using all
the possible bitplanes. E.g., 3 planes ECS, and I suspect 6 placnes AGA?

Else the cpu will have very little chance to write to the display memory,
and the system will feel _really_ slow.

I tried both methods.