Subject: Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga
To: Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie>
From: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@crans.ens-cachan.fr>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/07/2000 20:23:34
Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie> writes:

>  Who is running some kind of Unix on the Amiga without a gfx card?

I do. Without even a screen, because of lack of room... I use a serial
console.

> Is AGA good enough for X11?

Definitely not, unless you like to use X11 with just 2 bitplanes...

>  Another possible solution could be to add an optional tools package
>  to the distribution which contains emacs and some other stuff which
>  (supposedly) makes life easier for some people.

Sure, that's exactly IMHO the role of people who make NetBSD available
on a magazine cover CD. But to me, it's certainly not the role of the
NetBSD project to do so. NetBSD is small, NetBSD is Unix, people who
won't want to learn the three basic commands you need to use vi won't
gain anything from running NetBSD. That's just my opinion again.

>  I think you'll have to explicitly mount it read-only, i.e. -r ro

Yep, it's either -r or -o ro, but you got the idea ;)

regards,
Aymeric