Subject: Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga
To: Martin Steigerwald <Martin-Steigerwald@gmx.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/07/2000 23:10:27
On 7 Jan 2000, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> But its quite dificult for me as I dunno NetBSD yet, and on Linux I do not
> really know the internals... anyway it should be more from a user's point
> of view.

	There are 'philosphical reasons' that can affect a decision
	(To some the GPL is one true way, to others it is something
	to try to avoid, similarly some value the bazarre development
	model over tight control with a focus on code quality).

	But the bottom line is how the system is for the user.

> So depending on to whom you listen NetBSD's TCP/IP-implementation is way
> better than Linux ones for example. Holger Kruse states such for example.
> People at Amiga Inc. said this is not quite true. But then all they
> delivered was vapor-ware.

	NetBSD's TCP/IP-implementation is a lot more mature, and there
	are specific areas where is it known to be much better (NFS),
	plus it gets quite well used by networking people in the IETF.
	But I'm sure there are people who will swear by the Linux
	TCP/IP code.

> Is there any feelable speed difference? Is NetBSD faster than Linux m68k
> on the same machine or vice versa? Which one has more packages, which one
> has more up-to-date packages? And stuff like this.

	NetBSD has a single pkgsrc tree that is used across all platforms,
	so it has around 1000 packages which are kept pretty much up to
	date, I'm not sure about the Linux side.

		David/absolute