Subject: Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin-Steigerwald@gmx.net>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/07/2000 23:15:01
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Lars Hecking wrote:
>
> >  I'm running NetBSD 1.4.1 and RedHat 5.2 (beta) side by side, so I may
> >  be able to answer specific questions. I'm planning to replace RH with
> >  Debian as soon as the next stable release comes out (soon, I hope), though.
> >
> 	Don't forget to let everyone know what you like and dislike about
> 	the different systems - it gives people a better idea on what
> 	areas they can concentrate :)

I also used already Debian Linux m68k and RedHat, but I do not have any
experience in NetBSD...

I would like to make a list of features for both or advantages /
disadvantages.

But its quite dificult for me as I dunno NetBSD yet, and on Linux I do not
really know the internals... anyway it should be more from a user's point
of view.

So depending on to whom you listen NetBSD's TCP/IP-implementation is way
better than Linux ones for example. Holger Kruse states such for example.
People at Amiga Inc. said this is not quite true. But then all they
delivered was vapor-ware.

Is there any feelable speed difference? Is NetBSD faster than Linux m68k
on the same machine or vice versa? Which one has more packages, which one
has more up-to-date packages? And stuff like this.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald  - http://helios.home.pages.de
PGP: http://home.pages.de/~helios/autor/wie-erreichen.html