Subject: Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga
To: Martin Steigerwald <Martin-Steigerwald@gmx.net>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/07/2000 19:17:19
> - RedHat and Debian Linux m68k do have package managing system,
>   NetBSD does not
>   - hence quite automatic installation, configuration and deinstallation
>     of software packages either in rpm or debian package format

 Which is wrong. See:
http://www.de.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/

 And follow the links to the packages system.

> - Both Debian and RedHat Linux seem to be a bit easier to install and
>   come with pre-configured X11 that is immediately startable. (Especially
>   RedHat.) With NetBSD you have to setup X11 quite manually.

 Err? Thats is wrong, too. X11 is part of the installation process and for
plain ECS/AGA you can start X11 immediately.

> - The NetBSD on the Amiga Unix Compendium CD comes with compiled KDE
>   packages, Linux m68k does not. Important for the user IMHO!

 Yes, as KDE is crap :-)

> Can you point me towards some information on that subject? Thanks in
> advance.

 Please read my Article about NetBSD in general, which appeared in the
iX magazine. I can mail it to you.

--
Markus Illenseer