RE: upgraded to NetBSD1.4.1 and a lot more problems!

Ben Bogart <bbogart%acs.ryerson.ca@localhost> writes:
> I downloaded netbsd1.4.1 and installed and the first strange thing i noticed
> is the console
> screen (grf3) when in it's default resolution (640x480 or something) The
> pixels shimmer.
> Like the interlace feilds are not regestered properly. Disapears on this
> 800x600 and 1024x768

  I think the clock frequency has been changed slightly so that the display
works on monitors which are more picky about the VGA scan rate.

> modes. I'm getting a message in boot up -- no battery backed up clock (it did
> work before on netbsd1.3.2 prior to 2000. Now the real problems. Netbsd 1.4.1
> find the extra 8MB of FAST RAM on my

  The clock is the y2k bug that was found in the clock read routine - you will
need to rebuild your kernel with the patch for that.

> Microbotics 8UP card. This card was ignored by netbsd 1.3* When running X
> (via xdm) all works
> when logging in but as soon as any program is run from X the machine freezes,
> no cursor movement,
> no panic just frozen. As I've had troubles with this mem card i decided to
> see if removing it would fix the problem. So i took out the card and tried
> again. This time the same exact thing happend but i was able to run a few
> programs first. ie I was able t
>
> What can i do about this? Is there some kind of strange hardware problem with
> my system?
> Can i compile a kernel to fix it? Mem leak?
> IS the Microbotics 8UP ram card supposed to work at all with netbsd? I've had
> no problems with
> the board under AmigaOS.

  I'll guess that your bootblock (or loadbsd options) include the -n2 option.
I don't think the A3000 and A4000 systems will work with Zorro II memory.
I know that the Microbotics 8UP memory will not work on my A4000 (and neither
does the GVP HardCard memory).  The memory appears to work quite well when
statically mapped (for bounce-buffer support on Zorro II DMA devices), but
does not work for page-faulting.  Try running without the -n2 option and see
if it works any better.

Michael
---
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant,  Information Technology Center
Montana State University, Bozeman, MT     USA