Subject: Re: /proc?
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/20/1999 20:13:44
On Sat, Nov 20, 1999 at 06:56:53PM +0000, Lars Hecking wrote:

>  The kernel can be compiled with support for /proc, but how do I
>  create /proc? There is no man page.

mkdir /proc; mount -t proc proc /proc (I think); check man mount_proc

>  Are the relevant utilites in the distribution (ps, top) /proc-aware,
>  or are such versions available somewhere?

to the extend that they use /proc if they notice a problem accessing
the kernel:  yes, at least for -current. There was some work in
the last months on this, so 1.4.1 might have less of that functionality.

Affected commands are in-tree ps and top.

Btw: don't confuse this with the Linux /proc. Linux  /proc is in
reality a /we_put_everything_into_this; the BSD /proc has only
process-related information. Generic kernel information is handled
by kernfs (mounted on /kern); some of you might have noticed that
/kern/msgbuf is used instead of "dmesg" inside installation miniroots,
or that the installation miniroot uses /kern/rootdev to mount itself
read-write.