Re: setting language

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 01:23:43PM +0100, Torsten Bücheler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran into trouble setting the language variables LANG,
> LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_NUMERIC. I don't know where to install
> what and set which variable to use german "Umlaute" and
> german keyboard in eg. tcsh.
>
> Tcsh is compiled with options 8b,nls,... so this should work,
> but pressing any "Umlaute" buttons nothing happens.

        stty pass8 -istrip

should be in your .cshrc...

> With emacs everything works fine.

fine.

setenv LANG de

enables German libc messages:

jocelyn netbsd 103% setenv LANG de
jocelyn netbsd 104% ls x
ls: x: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

> aclocal complains:
> "perl: warning: Setting locale failed
>  perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>        LC_ALL = "de"|"deutsch"|"german",  (1)
>        LC_CTYPE = "iso8859-1",
>        LC_NUMERIC = "de"|"deutsch"|"german",  (1)
>        LANG = "de"|"deutsch"|"german"  (1)
>   are supported and installed on your system.  (2)
>  perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

Thats, rather, a tech-userlevel question, I guess. Ask there, please.

My perl pretends to work fine, but I've built it long ago from pkgsrc, and
never bothered to check its usefulness for localized environments.

[I suggest you build from pkgsrc, too]

LC_CTYPE is definitely not really supported by NetBSD right now.