Re: Installation problems

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 08:07:11PM +0100, Thomas Rasmussen wrote:
> I am trying to install NetBSD 1.4.1 on my Amiga 4000/060 but I have got a
> problem that I can not solve.
> During the installation, after I have configured the network etc., the
> computer ask if I want to edit the fstab I choose no since it is allright. I
> do not get the expected error:
>     newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): Invalid argument
>     newfs: /dev/rsd0a: can't rewrite disk label
> It just goes on to configuring network and then I get the following error:
>
> exec: mount_ffs -o async /dev/sd0a /mnt
> mount_ffs: /dev/sd0a on /mnt: incorrect super block
> FATAL ERROR: Cannot mount filesystems. Double-check your configuration and
> restart the installation process.
> #

No idea, yet, just more or less wild guesses.

* you wrote the miniroot onto the _root_ partition, thus overwriting your
  working partition when you started to install

* you misunderstood some of the prompts or the INSTALL, and did something
  wrong.

- For both possibilities, it would help to see all questions you were asked,
  and all answers you have given, not just the last one. We have done some
  clarifications in other areas already, maybe more is needed.

* the partition ids are wrong...
- Please report the partition ids in addition to the rdbinfo output.
  or try rdb-informer.

- btw, what is 2092/6?

* too much graphics board:

If this is the case, you probably can workaround in one of these ways:

- try without the cv64/3d (obviously)
- use "binpatch" to patch the kernel:
  binpatch -s _Sysptsize netbsd
        write down the value reported
  binpatch -s _Sysptsize=6 netbsd
        (assuming 6 is bigger than the old value- increase it by a small amount)

  then boot using loadbsd

- when booting, leave out the S option, and maybe use -n0 instead of -n2.

Please tell if any of these helps.