Man not finding proper pages...

Hello,
I'm unable to get man pages on certain commands in the /bin and /usr/bin dirs.
ie man man or man fsck give me this message: man: no entry for man in the
manual. obviously a problem. I do not have a new installtion and have been
using it for months and months now but not having needed such man pages for a
while i did not notice them going missing. Also if i use the man -k option i
get this:
apropos: no whatis.db file found

I've looked at my paths and man pages for apropos, man, whatis etc with no luck
(for some reason i was able to get the man man page with "man 1 man" I could
not find any whatis.db files in any man directorys.

Thanks your your time.

Ben Bogart
Amiga 3000, NetBSD1.3.2, 16MB RAM, 2.1GB HD, Custom Kernel, EGS