How to use DVD-RAM disks?

I would like to use a DVD-RAM drive (Panasonic LF-D101) as a backup
device for my Amiga NetBSD system. My problem is how to disklabel the
disks. I suspect that there are two parts to the problem, first the
drive always reports itself as a type 5 (CDROM) device regardless of
which media type is in the drive (it supports CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-RAM
and PD disks). NetBSD consequently detects it as 'cd0' whereas I
suspect it needs to appear as an 'sd' device in order for the RDB to
be recognised.

Secondly, the sector size is 2048 bytes which seems to prevent me from
using HDToolBox to write a correct RDB (I can't see any way to sepcify
the sector size when defining the drive type in HDToolBox). I was
hoping to be able to use the BSD 'disklabel' instead but the write
option is disabled on the Amiga.

I did try using disklabel to create an in-core label and then tried to
create a filesystem using newfs but that just complained that the
device was not configured.

Any suggestions?

The Amiga is a 2000 with a Blizzard 2060 card running NetBSD 1.3.2.

George Harvey
fr30%dial.pipex.com@localhost