Subject: Re: 128MB limit?
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 09/16/1999 20:09:50
On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 06:28:44AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <19990915080448.A899@jocelyn.rhein.de>,
> 	Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de> writes:
> > - recompile your kernel when you have a fast machine to support your needs
> >   better
>
> The problem is that most people including me don't have your knowledge
> about the interdependences of all those memory related limits. That's
> why it would be nice to have a simple option for systems with >=32MB
> which raises all necessary values to get the behaviour of e.g. the
> i386 port.

But it isn't that simple.... thats the very problem.
I tend to up the preallcoated kernel page-table pages once more, but for the
other stuff, I'd prefer to write a FAQ entry or something like that.

(Some people might want bit text, small data, e.g. for Netscape Navigator.
 Some people dont need big text, at least not more than 6 MB, but need
 horribly big amounts of data space.
 And our pmap might do nasty things if you the size limits don't protect
 the stack location limit...)

Regards,
	Ignatios