Subject: PCMCIA support for the A1200(/A600?)
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Aymeric Vincent <Aymeric.Vincent@emi.u-bordeaux.fr>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/29/1999 20:54:34
       Hi,

 I have good news: my Ambicom AMB8002T PCMCIA Ethernet card works fine
under NetBSD 1.4 on my Amiga... I wrote the interface routines
necessary to get support for (all?) the MI-drivers. This is quite
rough right now, and I'd like to improve it before I release it.

 Here are some of the ``problems I have'' :

  - The card has to be already plugged, and initialized under AmigaOS
    via the cnet.device, or it will say ``where did the card go?''...
  - The bus_space_{read,write}_1 macros are not generic enough in the
    case of the PCMCIA address range because, for example, if you
    want to access a byte at port 0x300, you fetch it at 0xa20300 and
    if you want the byte at port 0x301, you get it at 0xa30300. This
    can't be handled with just an addition... (I hacked it with a
    dirty test and would like to know of a better solution)
  - There is no support (yet) for removing the card while the system
    is running. (not hard to deal with, but doesn't work on the PC
    with 1.4 anyway).
  - I had to allocate and map some virtual addresses because the range
    it needs isn't covered by anything yet. This involved enlarging
    the size of the page tables in amiga_init.c or someething like
    that.
  - I'd like to know how I can test *properly* whether there are 8
    Megs of misplaced RAM, or if the 4M aperture is available for the
    cards...
  - Is there any plan for supporting the A600? This should not be too
    hard (remember there is a '030 card for the A600 :)

 Well, sorry for this bunch of questions but it's so cool! ~350Kb/s
FTPs for $39 on my '030/28MHz !!! ;)

 If you have any answer/hint for any of the above, I'm highly
interested :)

Aymeric