Subject: Re: AmigaNet warning messages
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Hensen <hensen@wpos4.physik.uni-wuppertal.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/27/1999 02:28:15
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 09:19:55AM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:
> > I've got a brand new AmigaNet rev1.2A board in my Amiga and I am somewhat
> > satisfied with the thing. However, I get all the time this message with
> > network activity:
> >
> > ed0: warning - receiver ring buffer overrun
> > ed0: reset
> >
> > What does this mean? Is there something wrong with the card or with the
> > settings? Can this be fixed?
>
> No. That is: we should probably rate-limit the message, or suppress it,
> in future releases.
>
> actually, you only see it in DIAGNOSTIC kernels. Rebuild without DIAGNOSTIC,
> and you only should see the RESET.

I have the same sort of ethernet board in my Amiga 4000 and I also get the
above mentioned messages. But surprisingly, this happens only if the Amiga
acts as NFS client and then only while reading data from the NFS server. It
does not occur during write access to the NFS server and it also does not
occur if the Amiga itself acts as NFS server, neither with read nor with
write accesses. FTP file transfers also work without any error messages in
both directions and with the Amiga acting either as client or as server.
Also things like remote tape access work without any problems. (The machine
"on the other side" was a Pentium II/Linux system in all cases.)

Therefore, I suspect that the problem does perhaps not really come from the
driver for the AmigaNet board but from the NFS client part. (But I do not
know enough about the kernel internals to be sure about this.)

The annoying thing with these messages is, that they are permanently
repeated, so that they fill the /var/log/messages file very quickly and
also seem to reduce performance due to the additional disk accesses.
Therefore, it probably does not help to just suppress the warning messages
but still get the reset messages. On the other hand, supressing all
messages from the ethernet board also seems not desirable ...

[I noticed this problem already some months ago, but did not ask about it,
because I still use NetBSD 1.3 (not enough time for a new installation :-(
and did not know whether it was fixed somehow in later versions.]

Regards

Stefan Hensen

Stefan Hensen
e-mail: hensen@wpos4.physik.uni-wuppertal.de