Re: Collisions w/ Ariadne I?

On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 11:21:45PM +0200, Ingolf Koch wrote:
> while running NetBSD with my A4000 opened, I noticed that
> the "Collision" LED on my Ariadne I board turned on every(?)
> time when the "Transmit" / "Receive" LEDs where on.
>
> But "netstat -I le0" indicates 0 collisions.
>
> Which one is right?

Hard to tell.

However, the LEDs on the Ariadne I are software controlles, so there might
be either a programming error (and the "collision" LED shows something else
like e.g., total activity, or board access, or interupt activity;
or maybe the timeout chosen is so long that it gives the wrong impression.
(A small amount of collisions on Ethernet is normal... )

> If there are really so many collisions,
> what could I do to prevent them?

1. check terminators
or
2. seperate loosely related network segments by a switch.
or
3. reduce the traffic.

> (I use 10base2 with two hosts: one is the Amiga/Ariadne,
oops. so option 2 does not work.

> the other is an i386 Laptop with Linkport ENET-B PCMCIA
> ethernet card. Both run NetBSD-1.4 (the laptop runs
> 1.4BETA).)

Hm. If you have exactly two hosts... both of them should see the same
number of collisions! check on the laptop for the number.

Regards,
        Ignatios