Re: NetBSD1.4 upgrade (from 1.3.2)

On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 06:09:52PM -0700, Ben Bogart wrote:
> Hello all,
> Im about to upgrade to 1.4 have have some questions about backing up my
> exsisting system. Is it best to create a seperate backup partition on the
> harddisk and write a script that creates tar-gz files and copies them? Or are
> there any existsing backup programs that would be better to use? As for
> storage devices I have some HD space left and a Zip Drive. Thanks!

It is surely wiser to use a medium that you can remove from the computer
while doing the backup, so I'd vote for (some) ZIP media.

dump or maybe dump | gzip should do a good job, you you want to backup
whole partitions, as it doesnt decend the file tree, but linearly accesses
the inode tables on the partition.

OTOH, tar isn't too bad also.