Re: grfmodes and CV64 (was: Re: Listmodes and P96)

Hello Rafael

On 07-Feb-99, Rafael Vicaría Alloza wrote:
» Greetings to All,
»
» Greetings Alexander,
»
» What a pleasant surprise to find you here!
I think I remeber you from Compuserve. Your tag line rings a bell.

»
» NetBSD is cool!
»
» Nice to read from you again...   B-)
»
» On 06-Feb-99, you wrote:
»
»> AP Hello,
»
»> AP Pardon me if this has been discussed before, but I seem to be having
» trouble
»> AP useing ListMode to get my P96 configs for my P-IV. I've read the doc,
» and
»> AP understand that (1) it works only with the old version of the Picasso
»> AP software (Which I'm not willing to install) and (2) that I have to
»> AP converthem in BSd to the new mode line configs per the supplied script
» the
»> AP the INSTALL.X11 doc.
»
» PMFJI, but I'm having problems with something similar.  But I have a CV64
» instead.
»
» My system is as follows:
»
» Unaccelerated A3000 with 16MB RAM (fully populated motherboard with
» StaticColumn ZIPs)
»
» Cards: CV64 and Emplant deLuxe (not used for NetBSD)
»
» Drives: Old Micropolis 760MB reformated to 627MB, fully dedicated to NetBSD
» excluding an ados partition of 27MB for file exchange purposes (but one way
» only,
» NetBSD mounts ados partitions read only, and I'm not having much success
» with BFFS,
» but that's another story...). The two other scsi drives are partitioned
» with AmigaOS/MAcOS.
» All of them are connected to the onboard scsi.
»
» Running NetBSD-1.3.2 from Gateway! volume 3 CDROM.
»
» It seems to run fine, after setting TERM=vt220. Otherwise, vi wouldn't
» work. Interestingly, vi works when installing the first time.
»
» I cannot get X work.
I simply can't get my monitor configs to work. The screen is shifted to left
to much. Hopefully this will go away once I canb transfer my screen mode
configs.

»
» It's just startx that gets stuck or something. That's what it says:
»
» grfcv: Monitor definition not OK
» Feb 7 13:20:12 myhost /netbsd:grfcv: Monitor definition not OK
» _X11TransSocket UNIXConnect: Cant connect: errno = 61
» giving up
» xinit: Connection refused (errno 61): unable to connect to Xserver
» xinit: No such process (errno 3): server error
»
» And that's it.
Rename /etc/grfmodes to something else and reboot. It maybe that since it
can not setup your screen resolution it simply fails. You should be able to
hit return a few times after it fails and get a prompt. I get something
similar when experimenting with the grfmodes file.
»
» When I installed X11R6, after extracting all the relevant sets, I did the
» following,
» as per INSTALL.X11
»
» Modified /usr/X11R6/lib/xdm/Xservers
» and /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc
»
» changing them to /dev/grf5 -mode 2, instead of the default (/dev/grf0
» -otheroptions)
Can you post the two files to make sure. I don't know if that is appropriate
for this group, as I'm still new here. Can anyone of the more senior members
answer that?

»
» I added /usr/X11R6/bin to the path.
» And I edited /etc/ld.so.conf as required.
»
»> Areming myself with such info, I went ahead and tryed
»> AP doing a 'listmode' on my 'devs:monitors/PicassoIV',
»> AP 'System:Devs/Picasso96/PicassoIV', 'System:Devs/Picasso96Settings'
» files.
»> AP Each gave a small dump of info and then crashed. Seems listmodes gets
» stuck
»> AP on something in each. Anyway, I copied each of the outputs to a
»> separate AP file and then ran the mode line config script on each. then
»> running AP grfconfig /dev/grf3 /test/newmodefile produced erros such as
»> invalide AP modelin, pixleclock to hi, etc. Even removing the offending
»> lines didn't AP help.
»
» I've used ReadCVmonitor-1.0 on my AmigaOS-3.1/cybergraphics.library v40.113
» monitor file instead. It didn't crashed though.
»
» It gives a grfmodes file for NetBSD 1.1 that needs editing because of the
» different format in
» NetBSD-1.3, as per man grfconfig and INSTALL.X11.
Did you use the script that is included in the install X11 doc on the CD?
It can convert the modes to NetBSd 1.3 style.
»
» grfconfig -r /dev/grf5    outputs the following:
»
» c 25000000 640 480 8 640 680 768 800 481 491 493 525 default
I got something similar when I had no grfmodes file. Setting one up yeilded
other available modes and errors.
»
» Thus, I edited the "equivalent" line in the grfmodes file generated from my
» current
» monitor file (which works fine for AmigaOS-3.1 800x600x16 screen and
» MacOS 7.x 800x600x16 screen too).
I personally use 1280x1024x16 and anything that can run in window does. :)
»
» The "equivalent" line in the grfmodes file is the only one I've left
» uncommented.
» It's the one starting with:
»
» 2 25000000 640 480 8........
»
» X still doesn't work neither with the "-mode 2" line in grfmodes having the
» same
» content as grfconfig -r /dev/grf5, nor with the NetBSD-1.1 output of
» ReadCVMonitor edited for 1.3 compliance, which is nearly the same as the
» output
» of grfconfig -r /dev/grf5
»
» What am I missing?
I'm asking my self the same question. I've setup Redhat 5.x on several
machines, including my laptop and that was easier than BSD Amiga. I'm just
over whelmed by all of it I guess. You know, configure *everything*.
Sometimes I just move to another thing just to get my mind a bit clear.
Maybe I'll just get the Zorro adapter for my Power Tower 1200 and get a
Bridgeboard and try Linux on that. Should be intersting to try, though I
doubt it'll work.

»
» Thank you very much for any help you can give me
I'm still learning, so I don't think I'll be of much help, but I'm willing
to give it a go.

»
» And thank you very much for your time and for NetBSD for the Amiga.
»
» Best regards
»
» ---Rafa
»
»
Regards
Alex

--
Success is like a fart - only your own smells nice.
-- James P. Hogan