Subject: Scsi problems!
To: None <port-amiga@netbsd.org>
From: Ola Eriksson <email@hetpost.ml.org>
List: port-amiga
Date: 12/16/1998 00:38:23
Hello!!

I have some major problems adding an scsi disk to my computer.
I use an Amiga 1200 in an tower case, with an Blizzard 1260 and
Blizzard IV-scsi kit (for the cpu card). And I just can't get the
scsi drive to work, neither with AmigaOS or NetBSD. But since i only
run NetBSD on this computer, I don't care if it won't work under aos.

The scsi controller works, because i can get an Maxtor 540 mb disk to
work on it, under both os'es.

One of the things I have thought about is if the disk would be to big
for 'something' to handle. Because it's an 4.5 gig disk, brand Quantum
Viking. But since the company i bought the scsi controller from, claims
to have been running disks at over 6 gigabytes on the same type of
controller. This kind of rules out the fact that the controller doesn't
handle the size (and in addition, i have a few friends who use 4.3 gig
disks with the same controller).

Under amigaos, hdtoolbox says that it can't read the size of the disk,
and then identifyes it as an 20 mb disk. But it knows the name and id
number of the disk. And some other programs I'v tried (for example the
software that comes with the controller) tells me that the disk doesn't
have any sectors, and that i should lowlevelformate it, but no program
let's me do this. I have also tried to patch the ffs drivers, but with
no advance. (But i'v got 3.0 romes, and someone said that this might
effect this).

At the NetBSD boot, i get the following message:

probe(bzivsc0:3:0): max sync rate 10.00Mb/s
probe(bzivsc0:3:0):  Check Condition on opcode 0x0
    SENSE KEY:  Hardware Error
   INFO FIELD:  1376768
     ASC/ASCQ:  ASC 0x09 ASCQ 0x89
     FRU CODE:  0x80
         SKSV:  Actual Retry Count: 0

sd3 at scsibus1 targ 3 lun 0: <QUANTUM, VIKING 4.5 NSE, 8808> SCSI2
0/direct fixed
sd3: drive offline

I have also tried the disk with another kind of controller, with the
same resault (though just with aos).

Could it be that there is something wrong with the disk? There might
be something that is wrong jumperd on the disk, but I don't think so,
(everything seems right, and i have tried quite alot of different things,
just in case).

Does anyone know what might be wrong? And might even how to fix it? :)
(And yes, it is correctly terminated! :))

Thanks for your time. (btw, sorry for this long letter, but i thought it
would be best if I got as much information in it as possible about what
that is wrong).

With Regards
//Ola Eriksson   --    arctic@hetpost.ml.org