Subject: Re: Modem Problems
To: None <bbogart@iname.com>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/29/1998 21:58:01
On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 03:54:18PM -0800, B. Bogart wrote:
> I use an Amiga 3000, EGS spectrum, 12MB RAM, Seagate 2.1GB, NetBSD1.3.2

The GENERIC kernel?

> I am having troubles using my modem, i can't get chat to communicate with it.
> I am also getting many silo Overflows. I know that the serial device and line
> work because i have connected the PC to it via a null serial line and the
> tty00 works fine, so whats going wrong? I would appriciate any suggestions.

* make sure that
- pppd or whatever communication program you use sets crtscts
- your cable has 8 wires (2,3,4,5,6,7,8,20)
- your modem has RTS/CTS handshaking switched on.
you probably know this, but I wanted to mention it for completeness

* compile your own kernel, with

options LEV6_DEFER
options "SERIBUFSIZE=2048"

(or more).

After doing both, you should be able to do 57600 without much lossage.
However, if you use PPP, I advise you to use less (e.g., 38400 for a 28800 or
33600 modem), to switch off modem compression, and to use PPP compression
instead. CPU cycles are cheaper than interupt rate.

Regards,
	Ignatios Souvatzis