Subject: Re: loadbsd Problem
To: Richard Knight <rknight@vaxxine.com>
From: Alessio Cappelli <turbocap@sienanet.it>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/27/1998 14:57:57
Il 26-Ott-98, Richard Knight scrisse:

>Hi:

>I'm a newcomer to NetBSD and this list. I have succeeded in installing
>NetBSD and X11, but I have problems invoking the loadbsd command from
>the Amiga. It only works correctly about one time in five.

>When I enter "loadbsd -A -a netbsd", any of the following may happen:

>- correct start of NetBSD
>- "EMT trap" message and return to shell prompt
>- "Bus error" message. No return to shell prompt
>- Immediate machine crash.
>- "Floatng point exception" message, followed shortly by crash
>- "Can't open expansion library" message, followed shortly by crash

I have the same problem, but, if you are using loadbsd2.13 (ixemul.library
needed), it may depend, I think, on the version of such library.
LoadBSD2.13 doesn't work very well with ixemul v47.0 but it works fine with
v40.4. So if you don't need v47.0, you can install v40.4, otherwise you have
to install the BSD bootblock or use GoBSD.
However I solved the problem with this little trick: I wrote a script that
detaches LIBS: assignment from my libs directory, assigns LIBS: to a directory
that contains ixemul.libray v40.4 and then call LoadBSD 2.13. In this way:

; NetBSD Startup Script
assign libs: remove
assign libs: EmuWorks:NetBSD/kernel
version libs:ixemul.library
echo "Booting Unix..."
ask "Are you ready?"
if warn
    echo "Loading NetBSD Kernel..."
    dh5:netbsd/c/loadbsd -aA dh5:netbsd/kernel/AMCBSD
else
    quit
endif

In the "kernel" directory there are ixemul40.0 and my own kernel image file
called
AMCBSD. So you can have your system use ixemul.library v47.0 in the
"every-day-life" and load v40.4 only for NetBSD booting.

Regards, Alessio Cappelli