Subject: Re: R: Setting Up Dial-Up Connection with PPPD
To: andrea <andrea.franceschini@linet.it>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/21/1998 22:50:01
On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 09:18:33AM +0200, andrea wrote:

> Now , is possible  that the pppd of NETBSD is incompatible with that one of
> NT?

Mostly, not. Athough NT RAS tends to negotiate a proprietary 3-way
authentication method instead of the public one implemented in {NetBSD,
FreeBSD, Linux, etc}, and create startup problems this way.

However, I dont think this is a problem here.

> I asked other people,that use the same provider,and i know that with user
> ppp provided with FREE-BSD
> the connection work correctly

I lost the beginning of this discussion, but...

are you VERY VERY sure that

- your pppd knows about hardware handshaking (crtscts option)
- your cable has (the right ) 8 wires between computer and modem
- the modem knows about the hardware handshaking, too (look into its manual,
  the command sets are slightly differen between modem versions) ?

If _any_ of the 3 above conditions is false, you'll have serious performance
problems, even with a big-fifo serial, and much more with the Amiga internal
serial port.

Other than that, for the Amiga internal serial:

- in the kernel configuration file, use
	options	LEV6_DEFER
	options	"SERIBUFSIZE=4096"

use the slowest bit rate for computer-modem about 20% abouve your modem
bitrate. Dont use modem compression. Use ppp compression, if available, or
even better, transfer gzipped files end-to-end ;-)

I've done 57600 modem-ser rate, for tests, with my A3000 (68030@25MHz) after
fixing the last big ser.c bug, btw. For other hardware the useful maximum
speed might differ (e.g., nasty disk devices).

Can somebody please add all of this to a NetBSD/AMiga FAQ?