Subject: Re: Installing NetBSD1.32 without install script
To: None <bbogart@iname.com>
From: Markus Illenseer <markus@core.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/12/1998 18:02:30
> I have been attampting to install netbsd1.32 on my system without any success,
> have not gotten any answers from port-amiga@netbsd.org.

 I dont remember reading your issue ever on port-amiga.

 You fail to state your Amiga type, especially important is your -exact-
CPU type. Please always complete your bug report with a full detailed
description of the used hardware.
 I only can guess from your description that you might have
no FPU at all, which makes the very first programm accessing the FPU
to crash. Normally this would be "fsck", in your case it is possibly
"zcat". NetBSD/Amiga does support Non-FPU environments, but I am not
sure about the supplied GENERIC kernel.

 The binary sets are standard gzip'ed tar archives. Please verify the
consitence of the files using md5: "md5 base.tgz" and compare the
resulting number with the number in the MD5 file to be found in
../yourpath/NetBSD-1.3.2/amiga/binary/sets/MD.

 Basically the archives are unpacked by the script using zcat and tar:

cd /
zcat base.tgz | tar ztvfslp -

 You can use "gunzip" before using tar as well:

cd /
gunzip base.tgz
tar ztvfslp base.tar

 The above does not work using the miniroot.fs - missing gunzip.
Try to gunzip one file on another machine or operating system.

 You can also test the consistence of the files by using zcat:

zcat base.tgz > /dev/null

 If that crashes, you have either a problem with miniroot.fs (very
doubtful) or a hardware issue (not doubtful but rare).

 Good luck.

--
Markus Illenseer
NetBSD 1.3.2 CD-ROM "Gateway! Vol. 3" now shipping!  See:  http://core.de/