Subject: Re: Newbie questions
To: port-amiga @ NetBSD . ORG <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <bsieker@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 05/25/1998 23:36:19
On 25.05.98, 19:26:36, Lars Hecking wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  3) When I try to run startx as a non-root user, I get:
>     OsVendorInit: can't open keyboard: Permission denied
>     Fatal server error:
>     no screens found
>     How can I fix this? (is there an equivalent to truss or strace?)

Make sure the Xserver is setuid root.
(e. g. chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/Xamiga)

Normally the Xserver must run as the superuser, normal users are not
allowed direct access to the device drivers.

>  4) Tape drive trouble. I have a Sun tape drive, and a tape written
>     on a SunOS machine (/dev/rst8). It is correctly recognised as
>     st0 at scsibus0 targ 4 lun 0: <ARCHIVE, VIPER 150  21351, -004> SCSI1 1/sequential removable
>     However, when I try to access the tape, it doesn't work:

Use /dev/nrst0 for "non-rewinding" or /dev/rst0 for "rewinding".
You can set the TAPE environment variable in your shell rc file.

>  5) Cannot mount Linux partitions:
>     mount_ext2fs /dev/sd1i /mnt/lnxlocal

There is a maximum number of partitions on a drive for NetBSD, I'm not sure
what it is. Does

"disklabel sd1"

show the sd1i partition with fs type ext2?

--
Bernd Sieker