Re: postgresql

Hi Matthias,

> On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, George Harvey wrote:
>
> > Unlikely, there are data alignment problems within Postgres when compiled
> > for m68k systems.
>
> So the incompatibility is between postgres and m68k and not between
> postgres and NetBSD? Does that mean it might compile and run under another
> NetBSD port?

My understanding is that it is specfically a problem with the alignment
of Postgres's internal data structures when compiled on a m68k system.
The patches for the earlier version were almost all to do with alignment
issues. I haven't tried any other NetBSD platforms but I would expect it
to work on at least x86 and Sparc based systems. My only other
experience with Postgres was on Linux on a 486 PC, which worked OK.
(side note: you might also want to look at mSQL and MySQL, I have
tried all three and MySQL came out as the winner for my application.
I haven't got the URLs to hand but you should be able to find them
under database software on Yahoo)

   George Harvey                  | Amiga A3000T, CyberStorm-II 040,
   email: fr30%dial.pipex.com@localhost     | Picasso-II, MFC-III, Ariadne