gvp i/o

Does anyone have this running?  I patched the kernel just fine with it (it
sticks the io.c and stuff in the wrong place, but easy enough to fix) and then
it recognizes it at bootup, but I'll be damned if I can figure out which tty
it is.  Is there something else I need to do?  I've done

pppd /dev/tty<just about every one of them> 115200 connect "chat -f
/etc/ppp/chat"

(where chat and options actually do exist) and I either get a device not
configured error or the script just stalls out (and says as much in an error
msg).  The TR light never does come on on the modem, so I don't think that
I've found the right tty.

Any help?

moses