Re: A2000 BBC in _every_ A1200?

Hi,

> Are you _sure_ thate _every_ 1200 running NetBSD is expanded with a board
> that provides the A2000 battery backed clock? (that is, an OKI chip ad
> 0xdc0000
> addressed at one 4bit-register per 680x0 longword?

Well, that is what I want to test :)

I do not have to see these changes in the -current sources, but only in some
kernel build by a kind soul. I do not have the diskspace to do it my own.

I'm not sure that every 1200 does satisfy this requirement, but I
checked with my bziv that 0xdc0000 is sort of `ticking' on the AmigaOS side.
It could be the oki chip, but it can be the timer.device also.
The register layout does seem to match the one in src/sys/arch/amiga/dev/rtc.h
Too bad the clock chip is covered by a large battery :(

I've mailed phase5 and a newsgroup for hardware semantics about the bziv
clock, but have not received any response yet and I'm not going to wait for
phase5. That is why I need a hacked kernel with the a2k clock (or a3k/a4k)
hacked to recognize a 1200 as such. By booting single user and modifying the
date manually,  halting and power cycle the machine I could verify that
the rtc manipulating is working for a bziv. I would like to hear if this trick
is working for other A1200 expansions too.

Perhaps I could set the type of clock by modifying a var in the kernel debugger
on bootup (ofcourse not meant for production use).

Or I need to disassemble the battclock.resource somehow from the kickstart rom
and see what it does. On the other hand, it could be the bziv autoconfiguration
that somehow sets the date on bootup.

> If not, we'd need a table sort of translating expansion board to bbc type,

Would that be possible ? or else we are going to have a rtc driver for
each type of expansion, which was not my intention.

> if possible (e.g.: P5 boards are recognizable by combining motherboard type
> and Autoconfig (tm) information).

currently, the A1200 has no support whatsoever for a bbrtc.
(too bad now the SCSI works like a breeze)

> Regards,
>       -is

Regards,
        Ruben