Subject: Re: CyberSCSI MK-II support and my HD
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Miloslaw Smyk <thorgal@dedal.man.szczecin.pl>
List: port-amiga
Date: 10/12/1997 19:47:17
On 12-Pa=BC-97, Ruben van Staveren wrote:

>> I've been testing new 1.2G kernel (phase5 SCSI support) with my CyberS=
CSI
>> MK-II attached to CyberStorm MK-II 060/50MHz. I booted it from my IDE
>> =

>> Oct 11 19:52:23 amiga /netbsd: warning found rdb->secpercyl(794) !=3D
>> rdb->nsectors(159) * rdb->nheads(5)
>> Oct 11 19:52:23 amiga /netbsd: warning lp->d_sparespercyl(1) not multi=
ple
>of
>> lp->d_ntracks(5)

>look on http://www.quantum.com/ if there are any jumpers to set, =

>maybe that helps.

Nope. I tried, but this is a problem with firmware that says there is 159=

blocks per track, 5 heads and only 793 blocks per cylinder (while 159 * 5=
 is
795). AmigaOS' FFS handles it just ok, AFS thinks that there's 795 blocks=

per cylinder, overestimates size of the partition and overwrites beginnin=
of the next one.

What NetBSD does is unknown to me, perhaps there is someone who knows... =
guess patching the kernel to calculate number of blocks per cylinder
correctly wouldn't be that difficult, but there may be more to it that ju=
st
the number of blocks...

>Or is it possible to obtain a firmware update ?

Some guy from Australia who suffers from similar problem was bugging
Quantum, but they said he needed to send the disk for replacement. :( Not=
 so
easy...

Milek
-- =

http://wfmh.man.szczecin.pl/~thorgal

"In 1977 an heavenly being spoke to me about
an injury to my head that happened in 1968."