colour map problems

I'm having some minor problems with colourmaps under NetBSD1.2, running on a
standard Amiga Display.

I have a variety of window managers installed, including amiwm and fvwm95.

Some applications seem to be unable to allocate certain colours under some
window managers.
I.e xfm will display all of it's icons under fvwm95, but less than half of them
under amiwm,
producing errors along the lines of "unable to allocate colour lightblue".
Likewise I can not run "Arena" under amiwm, as it is unable to get a certain
colour,
but it will run under most other window managers.

How can i get these applications to run correctly.

Thanks

Chris