Subject: Re: How to program in kernel ?
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 08/21/1997 12:19:37
> I try to implement a minimun set of IOCTL in kernel, for the amiga graphic
> chipset (grf_cc.c).
> Can I do ioctl() and malloc() / free() inside the kernel ?

The kernel has malloc()/free() calls, but they're different. See malloc(9).

I don't understand what you're trying to do with ioctl(). Like any other
system call, thats a userland C library function which passes parameters
to the kernel through a special trap. The functions called inside the kernel
have to deal with getting data out of user space, so they won't work if
called from inside the kernel.