Re: Mangled directories (fwd)

--Alex Johnson-ajohnson%accessv.com--@localhost complains, that...

>               Upon installing the kernel, I discovered that in order for
> the installation to work, I had to copy the ``inst-12.fs'' file to my root
> partition rather than the swap partition as described in the installation
> instructions.

Thats _completely wrong_.

You didn't read the install document carefully, or didnt follow its
instructions.

It tells you

- to copy the inst-12.fs to the swap file system
- boot with "loadbsd -bs netbsd" to be asked for the root filesystem
- answer with sd0* (if the disk is sd0). Thats sd0*. _With_ the *.

  If you answer sd0, it tries to mount the sd0a as root partition, and will
destroy it later when preparing it for installation.

>                After struggling to get miniroot to boot, I then ran into an
> additional problem which remains unsolved...

If you still have problems when following the instructions, it may be
the fault of the TecMagic board (at least the 3060 variant has been
reported to exibit very strange caching behaviour), but your present
problems are not related to that.