Re: still cant get -depth 5+

On Sun, 25 May 1997, Jarod wrote:

> Ive upgraded to 1.2.1, with X11R6.1. So i assumed this would let me run X with
> a depth of greater than 4. But no!! I get the same bloody error msg (no mem,
> ioctls
> etc)
> Im using grf0. So what do I do to get depth of 5-8?

It's been a while since I looked into this but from my recollection you
need two things:

1) The kernel needs to know how to enable a display of depth>4 (which I
believe it should if you have AGA defined.

2) You need a single properly aligned segment of chip RAM available for
allocation large enough to hold the entire display.  The kernel's a bit
dumb about this, and it will allocate a new display before freeing the old
one, so if your current display is too large or sitting in the middle of a
large block of available space you may be in trouble.

What you can try is frob the kernel into botting with the display size you
want for X11, that way it's pre-allocated.

Eduardo Horvath                         eeh%btr.com@localhost
"Cliffs are for climbing.  That's why God invented grappling hooks."
                                        - Benton Frasier