Re: Slow file xfers under X

Jarod wrote:

> Im running 1.1 on a A1200/030 50mhz, 16M. I have a 33k6 modem. Now my
> file xfer rate is ok, ok until that is I start X, where it slows down to about
> 1k/sec. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Im running the
> INSTALL

If you are trying to get a higher xfer rate than 57k6, NetBSD
will drop some/lots of packets. you'll be seeing error messages like:
'silo overflow' in the console.

Try to set your modem to a speed even or less than 57k6 and look in the
FAQ how to reduce silo overflows by giving the serial port interrupts a
higher priority.

AmigaOS can cope with 115k6 with a fast CPU though

Btw, if you are about the run an X application through your serial
 linkup, have a look at http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/ (Secure Shell
, encryption *and* zlib compression for logins/remote X apps)
or http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~zvonler/dxpc/, dxpc - The Differential X
 Protocol Compressor, which does a good job too (sometimes better than
ssh: Netscape will show up in 5 mins instead of 15!)

> kernel btw. (with the other kernels ive compiled its been even worse!)
Wierd, they should be smaller (and more efficient ???)

> Regards,
>
> jarod

Regards,
        Ruben