Re: WARNING: ARP now default on NetBSD-Amiga ARCnet driver

In article <199703231622.RAA06933%comma.rhein.de@localhost>, is
<is%comma.rhein.de@localhost> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just a short warning: after debugging and testing it last night,
> I made using ARP default for the A2060 driver ("bah").
>
> If you use it with the (ARP-wise broken) AmiTCP-3.0beta releases,
> set the link2 flag. AmiTCP 4.x should be ok.

Actually AmiTCP 4.x does not handle Arp across Arcnet quite correctly.
It sets the protocol type in outgoing Arp packets to 2048 (the value
for IP on Ethernet), not to the corresponding value for IP on Arcnet
(240 for RFC 1051).

Does NetBSD set this value correctly ?

> Amiga-specific compatibility notes:
>
> AS225 and I225 cannot talk ARP, to my knowledge. I dont know about MIAMI.

Miami supports two standards for Arcnet: "direct mapping" (using the
lower 8 bits of the IP address as the Arcnet address), and Arp.

In order to work with AmiTCP's non-standard Arp implementation Miami
always sends two Arp requests on Arcnet: one with a protocol type of
2048 and one with the correct protocol value. Also, for the same
compatibility reason, Miami accepts Arp packets with either value.

Btw, what about RFC 1201 ? Miami has support for that as well...

--
Holger Kruse   kruse%nordicglobal.com@localhost
               http://www.nordicglobal.com