Subject: Re: WARNING: ARP now default on NetBSD-Amiga ARCnet driver
From: Holger Kruse <kruse@nordicglobal.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/23/1997 15:06:08
In article <199703231736.SAA17303@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>, Ignatios Souvatzis
<ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> Holger,
>
> please read "Assigned Numbers", I think RFC1700 is the last published
> monolithic one.
>
> I cite (ARP relevant numbers are on pages 163 and 164):
>
>  "Protocol Type (pro)
>
>  Use the same codes as listed in the section called "Ethernet Numbers
>  of Interest" (all hardware types use this code set for the protocol
>  type)."

You are right. But I wonder who ever came up with the idea of putting an
update to the Arp field specs into the "Assigned Numbers" RFC.

All (other) documentation on Arp I have ever seen suggests that all
fields in an Arp packet (including address length, address fields etc.)
are defined with respect to the hardware type being used.

Anyway, it does not really make a difference. Since AmiTCP 3.x
apparently uses the Arp protocol field I should probably keep that
2-packet-hack in Miami for compatibility reasons...

> Wrt: RFC1201: NetBSD was the first one to implement it for Amiga
> (e.g., -1.1- release). See "man bah" for details on how to activate
> it.

Thanks. Somehow I didn't get man to work correctly in my first
NetBSD 1.1 installation, and never checked again later... If I had
known that, I could have saved myself some work :-).

--
Holger Kruse   kruse@nordicglobal.com
               http://www.nordicglobal.com