Re: A3000/25/8+2 worthwhile

Dnia 13-Mar-97, Bruno Bittner napisaî:
>I have an Amiga A3000 25Mhz that I'm considering adding 8Meg Ram to
>expressly for the purpose of running NetBSD.  I also have ~500Meg Disk Drive
>I'll be using.

>I'm now nervous that I'll put this effort into the machine, then find that it
>totally sucks.  I'd like to find out how bad/good this will be?

We have an A3000/030/25/12+2/500 based server that works fine but...

>I must run X.  I'd like to be able to log into work and work from home,
>I realize I'll be limited by modem speed here.

X on that setup especially without a fast gfx board, seems rather
dark. And X on _any_ setup via modem seems even darker... :-)

>I've used machines ranging from Sun2, Sun3, Sun4, UltraSparc,...
>This machine should be in the Sun3  range.

>I have a Nec MultiSync 2A monitor that I'd like to use in the highest
>resolution
>mode, I think its called Productivity mode?  Is this supported in NetBSD?

The highest ECS resolution is called PAL: Super High Res Laced and gives
You 1280x512 though it's rather unusable due to PAL scan frequencies.

I think the best solution is an overscanned PAL: High Res Laced passed
via the built-in flicker-fixer (called "Video Enhancer" in A3000) and it is
supported by NetBSD.

--

      / /
     / /