Subject: Re: A3000/25/8+2 worthwhile
To: None <bbittner@qualcomm.com>
From: Howard Anstedt <anstedt@beast.moneng.mei.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/13/1997 16:26:52
I am running NETBSD version 1.1 and X on an A3000 running the standard
68030 at 25MHZ with a total of 8 meg fast and 2 meg chip memory. Even
though it runs X just fine it is NOT fast in any sort of way. It seems
that you should at least have more memory, since just moving between
emacs, I know it is big, and xterm causes a significant amount of
swapping, which is very slow.

I don't remember exactly how much disk space I am using but I thought it
was about 200 meg. Your setup with 500 meg seems like plenty to me.

It took a little time to find a nice set of values to use with
xdaniver, I think this has been merged into some other server in 1.2,
but I thought the display mode I finally got working was very
nice. Realize that you don't have as many colors so that a Sun would
have so it picks the closest it can find which looks ok. I did not try
to X into another machine so I don't know how slow that would be.

Overall I don't believe that you would be very productive with only 8
meg of fast ram, I would go to at least 12 probably 16. I think with
more memory you may find it very acceptable but that obviously depends
on what you are use to.

I am using a Sun IPC, I think these are Sparc 1 class machines, at
home as an xterminal over an IDSN line and I believe that the Amiga
with more than 8 meg would be about 60% as fast as this. Just my
opinion on this, no real benchmarks.