Subject: Re: X and 256 colours.
To: None <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <ser1751@sun01.cdc.polimi.it>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/12/1997 13:31:45

> Hi all,
>
> Forgive me if I'm missing something, but I'm quite new to this lark.
>
> What I'm trying to do is run X or even the standard console in 256 colours.  My
> current setup is:
>
> Amiga 1200 68030, FPU, MMU, 16Mb Fast 2Mb Chip
> NetBSD 1.1
> Xdanvier
> + Plenty of harddisk space.
>
> Unfortunately I have no multi-sync monitor and this seems to be the problem!
>
> Running LoadBsd with the option B to enable the AGA chipset seems to cause the
> display to use some scan doubled display which I'm unable to display on my TV
> :(  If I Run LoadBSD without this option when ever I try to change the display
> to a depth of 5, 6, 7 or 8 it complains that there is no memory.
>
> Being a bit of a programmer I had a look at grfabs_cc.c and I noticed that
> there is in fact no support for AGA without a multi-sync monitor.  I therefore
> bunged together a few of my own routines by combining what was available to
> what should produce an 8-plane display and while it works fine for 1 to 4
> planes, when ever I try to use 5 to 8, all I get is a black screen.
>
> Has anyone tried to do the same thing?
>
> Also, is there another place with Xdanvier source, for some unknown reason, I
> can't get a connection to ftp.uni-regensburg.de ?
>
> Thanks in advance, Gizz!

Yes, i did it time ago. I sent also some grf*.c/.h patch time ago to Bernd Ernesti..
Maybe u can try to ask him for the patch 'coz i have no more my Amiga and
my HD on which i had source code.
Anyway i think this port must have somewhere the contribution i sent.
(i expanded some video modes for ntsc and pal , 8 bitplane at max, and i
also added some new modes (1280x512x8 for example)).
I'll try to see whether or not i still have some disks on which i put that patch
Best greetz,

		-Coccy [terraneo@kame.usr.dsi.unimi.it]

Let me tuned about it!