Subject: Re: mondef not ok?
To: Konstantinos Margaritis <markos@acropolis.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@beverly.rhein.de>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/11/1997 09:28:43
Hi Konstantinos,

>    hi all,
>    I am having a slightly annoying problem.
>    I used BFFS 1.3 on my netbsd system, and tried to operate on some =
files,
> using several programs on my Amiga (Shell, BrowserII, etc.). I tried =
to put a
> Disk.info on both root and usr partitions and had a disk full message=
=20on both
> occasions.
>    When I loaded bsd, it paniced and it refused to load. I loaded fro=
m the
> bootfile used for installing NetBSD, and mounted the partitions. I fs=
ck'd and
> after A LOT of salvaging, I ls'd and the result was a list of files l=
ike this
> "#5499", "#1090", etc....
>    I viewd the contents of each of this, and restored the names back =
> normal, and fsck'd again to restore the system, to each normal state.
>    I succeeded in name restoration, instead of one case. On the root =
dir (/),
> there is one directory that includes a subdir named .X11-unix, which =
in turn
> includes a socket-type (this given from file command) file named X0.
>    I believe that this is the reason that when I run startx, I am giv=
en a
> message /netbsd mondef not ok. I tried grfconfig to test if the graph=
ics
> adapter is incorrectly setup and it showed the proper definitions.
>    Oh, and each time I try to run the system, I have a core dump. Any
> solutions?
>    I would really appreciate any help on these..

Bffs-1.3 only implements the old BSD file system. It damages any
newly-created, or updated, as of NetBSD-1.0 and later, filesystem.

You should use Bffs-1.4 (which is readonly) or Bffs-1.5 (which hopefull=
knows about the 64bit structure).

I suggest you just delete that .X11-unix directory; the X server will
restore it, and the socket for local connections in it, as needed. (it
was below /tmp).

You should check the mondef file you use with the X server (if it is on=
which needs it); and, maybe, re-run "sh MAKEDEV all" in the /dev
directory.=20

Regards,
=09Ignatios
=09Ignatios Souvatzis