Subject: =?UNKNOWN?Q?R=82f._:?= jazz drive
To: Zoltan Kocsi <zoltan@bendor.com.au>
From: Laurent Baroukh <Laurent_Baroukh@zd.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 03/06/1997 12:44:35
Zoltan Kocsi wrote:

>It is possibly a very lamer question, but I'm thinking about buying a Jazz
>drive to my A3000/68040 system. It's having the stock A3000 SCSI and
>is running NetBSD-1.1 quite happily.
>Now would the jazz drive be a simple plug-n-play excercise or it would
>require modified SCSI drivers, new kernel, whatever ?
For NetBSD i don't know because i haven't made the test yet.

>What's more important, could then I read disk written by a Mac ?
Yes, you can and it's very easy (with CrossMac for exemple).
If you buy a Jaz, download ZJTools from Aminet (it's free and it permit you to
change Jaz cartridge as you want on the fly).

>I'd need to transfer huge images between someone else's Mac and this
>machine and lots of them so the Jaz drive would be quite useful.
So buy it because for big files it's very quick.
The only problem with Jaz and Amiga, is that the Jaz has a sort of Power Save
(and the Zip too). That's mean that after 30 minutes of no access to the Jaz,
the Amiga thinks the Jaz cartridge is ejected and ask you to Insert Disk when
you try to access to it. You just have to eject the disk and reinsert it to
continue...
Any way, if you take ZJTools, there is an option (SPINDOWN) that you can put to
0, and in that case the PowerSave is disable.

Regards,
Laurent Baroukh