Subject: Re: New to the List, X on A1200 with NetBSD?
To: None <Tom.Stock@gsbsc.gensig.com>
From: Kerry Gray <kgray@netcom.com>
List: port-amiga
Date: 01/16/1997 08:15:40
On Wed, 15 Jan 1997 Tom.Stock@gsbsc.gensig.com wrote:

>      I'd like to take a shot at running X Windows also, and was wondering
>      if someone could tell me what kind of performance I can expect from X
>      Windows on my Amiga. The FAQ recommends at least 6MB of RAM, so I
>      should be ok.

I can give you my experience based on running X on my A3000.  Like all
X implementations, it can be a bit sluggish, expecially when compared
to Amiga's GUI.  I tried running it with 6MB once, and it did start
up, but as soon as you move the mouse it goes into a swapping fit.  It
takes forever to do anything.  I later added memory to 18MB and
everything runs fine now.  I don't remember what the install docs say,
but your swap partition should be enough to have 32MB (real+virtual)
at a minimum.  64MB woudln't hurt.  Also, the recommended size for the
/usr partition is really too small for X.  If you have already built
your /usr partition to the recommended size, I suggest you create
another partition and install X there, inserting the necessary
symbolic links in /usr/lib, etc.

>      I'm guessing it may be out of the question to run any sort of 3D
>      multiplayer games under X on the amiga due to the conversion for the
>      graphics chips slowing it down?

I've never tried this myself, so I can't say.

>      Is there alot of good free software for NetBSD/Amiga?

There's lots of good free UNIX software that will compile and run with
little or no change out there.