How do I setup pppd correctly?

        I have been trying to setup pppd fo a couple of evenings and have
decided that I really don't understand the docs well enough to figure out
the correct way to connect to a host.  I have a dialup ppp account from
a local internet service provider and I am trying to setup pppd to
connect and access INTERNET from the NetBSD-1.2 system.  I am running a
local IP backplane with local routing so that I can use X windows.  The
system is a dialup uucp system using C-NEWS and the standard uucpd
delivered with NetBSD-1.2.  My system and configuration info. follows:

        NetBSD-1.2 on an A3000 with 3.1 ROM
        Kernel was rebuilt to add the bsd ppp compression

----------
/etc/hosts:
----------
#
127.1           sempco.uucp sempco www mail news usenet localhost
#
# ADDITIONAL hosts entries
#
199.217.253.10 admin.starnet.net
199.217.253.11 wupost.wustl.edu uustar.starnet.net news.starnet.net
18.62.2.35 jack-vance.mit.edu

----------------
/etc/ppp/options:
----------------
/dev/ttyA0 115200 lock crtscts noipdefault defaultroute ipcp-accept-local \
ipcp-accept-remote netmask 255.255.255.0 connect \
'chat -f /etc/ppp/chat-script'

--------------------
/etc/ppp/chat-script:
--------------------
"" atz1
"OK" atdt7312255
login: ppp!slayne
sword: "\qMYPASSWORD
"$ " "\qpppd"                   <--- Is this or any of it really right?

---------------
/etc/sylog.conf:
---------------
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr,auth.info;mail.crit     /var/log/messages
mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
cron.info                                       /var/cron/log
daemon.info;local2,auth.debug                   /var/log/ppp-log
*.err                                           root
*.notice;auth.debug                             root
*.alert                                         root
*.emerg                                         *

        What happens, the system dials, connects, and timesout maybe
because I don't have a default gateway for resolving conflicts.  The
default gateway is 1.1.1.1.  I don't know where that should be entered.
I don't have a /etc/ppp/ip-up or ip-down script since i am not sure what
are the 5 variable that are passed to the script/program.  I tried to
write a simple /bin/sh script to hack that information but the dialup
script is failing with the following information from my /var/log/ppp-log:

Jan  7 06:57:37 sempco pppd[15422]: pppd 2.3.0 started by toor, uid 0
Jan  7 06:58:48 sempco pppd[15422]: Connect script failed
Jan  7 06:58:49 sempco pppd[15422]: unable to delete pid file: Is a directory
Jan  7 06:58:49 sempco pppd[15422]: Exit.

        I don't know where it is looking for the pid file to be found.  I
thought that it was going to place that in /etc/ppp or /var/run.  I
haven't found it yet.

        If someone wouldn't mind explaining some of the details to me or
just provide me with a list of the required files and an example of their
contents I would deeply appreciate it.  I am sure that I don't have
enough information to get things right or may I am not quite smart
enought to figure it all out.  Thanks much in advance.

 --
Simeon A. Layne Jr.,  please address E-Mail as follows,
from INTERNET: sempco!toor%uustar.starnet.net@localhost