Subject: Re: Gzip for AmigaDOS
To: NETBSD-AMIGA <port-amiga@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jerome Fleury <jerfl@mail.cpod.fr>
List: port-amiga
Date: 11/27/1996 22:14:19
In a wonderful message dated of Tue, 26 Nov 1996 01:49:48 +0100 (MET), about:Re: Gzip for AmigaDOS
the mighty Stefan Hensen wrote:

 SH> As GNUtar automatically pipes the data through 'gzip' if invoked with the
 SH> '-z' option, both programs are needed (you probably know this alraedy). If

Yes I knew that.

 SH> you have both from ADE (i.e. if they are both compiled for ixemul.library),
 SH> the pipe is handled by ixemul.library. If gzip is compiled as 'normal'
 SH> AmigaOS program (e.g. with SAS/C), 'IXPIPE:' is used to set up the pipe. I
 SH> have tried both combinations with success. If 'gzip' is not in the path, you
 SH> get messages like:

Well I'm not sure my gzip is the ADE one. But this should work even
so as you say (thanks for your short explain about piping).
So the problem is still there and very strange :-)

 SH>   tar: Cannot exec gzip: No such file or directory
 SH>   Broken pipe

This is not exactly the message I get. It just says it can't open a
pipe:

 SH> But I don't know in which situation the 'tar' from ADE should look for
 SH> 'PIPE:' (perhaps with some old version of ixemul.library ... or whatever?).

Well... I've some ideas while you say that: maybe I should update my
tar command corresponding to the last ixemul installed (from the
latestsnapshot at home). I'll try this.

Thanks for help.
--
*JeJe*.    jerfl@mail.cpod.fr  /  jeje@ramses.fdn.org