Re: Gzip for AmigaDOS

>  KB> I presume it actually asks for IXPIPE: since it is ADE and all.. ;)
>
> IXPIPE: is also mounted on my system since it is widely used by
> ixemul. But tar zxvf doesn't work. I checked again for it to be the
> ADE one.

As GNUtar automatically pipes the data through 'gzip' if invoked with the
'-z' option, both programs are needed (you probably know this alraedy). If
you have both from ADE (i.e. if they are both compiled for ixemul.library),
the pipe is handled by ixemul.library. If gzip is compiled as 'normal'
AmigaOS program (e.g. with SAS/C), 'IXPIPE:' is used to set up the pipe. I
have tried both combinations with success. If 'gzip' is not in the path, you
get messages like:
  tar: Cannot exec gzip: No such file or directory
  Broken pipe
But I don't know in which situation the 'tar' from ADE should look for
'PIPE:' (perhaps with some old version of ixemul.library ... or whatever?).

Regards,

Stefan Hensen